NEW YORK (AP) — Marlee Matlin is joining the Deaf West Theatre production of “Spring Awakening” on Broadway.
The Oscar and Golden Globe winner will make her Broadway debut in the upcoming revival, which will feature a cast of 27 that blends hearing and deaf performers.
Matlin is the only deaf performer to win an Academy Award, which she did for “Children of a Lesser God.”
The show is a rock musical based on Frank Wedekind’s classic drama about a dozen young people discovering their sexual identities. The music is by Duncan Sheik, and the lyrics are by Steven Sater. The revival is choreographed by Spencer Liff.
Previews begin Sept. 8 at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre and it will be performed simultaneously in English and American Sign Language.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Joe Jackson, patriarch of musical Jackson family, dies at 89
- Justin Timberlake to return to Phoenix for second 2018 show
- Country Thunder music festival to kick off in Arizona on Thursday
- Neighbors come together for ‘Neighbor Dance Challenge’
- Your Apple Music or Spotify subscription may cost more soon