NEW YORK (AP) — Marlee Matlin is joining the Deaf West Theatre production of “Spring Awakening” on Broadway.
The Oscar and Golden Globe winner will make her Broadway debut in the upcoming revival, which will feature a cast of 27 that blends hearing and deaf performers.
Matlin is the only deaf performer to win an Academy Award, which she did for “Children of a Lesser God.”
The show is a rock musical based on Frank Wedekind’s classic drama about a dozen young people discovering their sexual identities. The music is by Duncan Sheik, and the lyrics are by Steven Sater. The revival is choreographed by Spencer Liff.
Previews begin Sept. 8 at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre and it will be performed simultaneously in English and American Sign Language.
- Study shows what music Arizona listens to the most
- Sugar Ray’s Mark McGrath to play free concert in downtown Phoenix
- John Mayer pays tribute to Glen Campbell with ‘Gentle on My Mind’
- This dog absolutely demands to watch the ‘Despacito’ music video
- Rock on! Phoenix area readying for big concert weekend