DETROIT (AP) — Fiat Chrysler is recalling nearly 350,000 crossover SUVs to fix engine covers that could come loose and catch fire.
The recall covers Dodge Journeys and Fiat Freemonts from the 2011 through 2015 model years. They have 2.4-Liter four-cylinder engines.
The company says it discovered the issue after investigating three incidents in Chile. In each case the SUVs were driven on unpaved or uneven surfaces. Fires can happen if a loose cover comes in contact with hot exhaust system parts. Fiat Chrysler reported one minor injury.
Customers may hear a noise from the engine compartment or smell a burning odor before a fire happens.
Dealers will install new hardware to better hold the covers in place.
About 144,000 of the recalled vehicles are in the U.S.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 5 safety pitfalls putting your business at risk
- Keeping outdoor workers safe in the scorching desert heat
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees