The hot summer months are upon us and, for some, this time of year can be deadly.
The Maricopa County Department of Health and Human Services said 110 people died of heat-related issues in 2012. In 2014, that number was cut to just 26. Why?
There are numerous reasons, but the Phoenix Rescue Mission’s annual Code Red event is a contributing factor.
The charity puts out water, food and supplies to help people cool off. In the last two years, it has distributed more than 980,000 bottles of water alone.
Phoenix Rescue Mission accepts donations online.
- Don’t underestimate Arizona heat during outdoor activities
- Scientists test device that can extract water from dry Arizona air
- Western Arizona eyed as water source for major metro areas
- Feud erupts between utility, US states over Colorado River
- Grand Canyon tests change in water system serving visitors