NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks are closing moderately lower in a relatively quiet day ahead of a holiday weekend.
Trading volume was relatively light Friday ahead of the Memorial Day holiday in the U.S.
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 53 points, or 0.3 percent, to 18,232.
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index lost four points, or 0.2 percent, to 2,126. The Nasdaq composite edged down a point to 5,089.
The price of oil fell $1 to close at $59.72 a barrel in New York. Traders were worried about supplies increasing.
Campbell Soup rose 2 percent after its earnings came in ahead of what analysts were looking for.
Bond prices fell after the government reported an increase in consumer prices last month. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.21 percent.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 5 safety pitfalls putting your business at risk
- Keeping outdoor workers safe in the scorching desert heat
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees