Share this story...
Latest News

Ex-FIFA vice president Warner arrested, granted $2.5M bail

FILE - In this Thursday, June 2, 2011 file photo, suspended FIFA executive Jack Warner gestures during a news conference held shortly after his arrival at the airport in Port-of-Spain, in his native Trinidad and Tobago. Warner was one of the 14 people indicted Wednesday May 27, 2015 in the U.S. on corruption charges. (AP Photo/Shirley Bahadur, File)

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (AP) — Former FIFA vice president Jack Warner was expected to spend Wednesday night in jail after surrendering when police issued an arrest warrant at the request of U.S. authorities, who filed corruption charges against him and 13 others tied to international soccer.

Warner appeared in court, where a judge read 12 charges against him and then granted him $2.5 million bail on certain conditions, including that he surrender his passport and report to police twice a week. Warner did not enter a plea and is scheduled to appear in court again July 12.

Police said there was a delay in processing Warner’s bail and he was expected to spend one night in jail.

The attorney general’s office in Trinidad and Tobago said it had been working with the U.S. Justice Department for about a year regarding the investigation of Warner, who was forced out of FIFA in 2011 over a bribery scandal.

Warner, who is an opposition member of Parliament in the twin-island nation, can be extradited to the U.S. under a bilateral treaty following a hearing. He also previously served as Trinidad’s national security minister.

“Mr. Warner is entitled to a fair extradition process and both the requesting and requested States intend to abide by the provisions of the treaty to ensure that Mr. Warner’s rights are respected,” the attorney general said in a statement.

Earlier in the day, Warner denied any wrongdoing, as he has previously when confronted with allegations that he enriched himself while an official with the global soccer governing body and as a president of CONCACAF, the federation’s North American regional organization.

Warner left soccer in 2011 to avoid FIFA sanctions during the organization’s presidential election. He said he was not questioned in the investigation that led to the indictment, as well as to the guilty pleas by two of his sons on related charges.

“I have been afforded no due process and I have not even been questioned in this matter,” he said in a statement. “I reiterate that I am innocent of any charges. I have walked away from the politics of world football to immerse myself in the improvement of lives in this country where I shall, God willing, die.”

In a brief phone conversation with The Associated Press, Warner declined to comment further and said he did not have enough information about his sons’ guilty pleas to comment. “I can’t say anything about what I don’t know about.”

Warner represents the constituency of Chaguanas West in Parliament. His term is due to expire when the session ends June 17.

Later, he told TV6 that U.S. authorities “know where to find me” and added “I sleep very soundly in the night.”

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.