LOS ANGELES (AP) — Electronic music artist Steve Aoki is undergoing surgery to repair his vocal cords.
The 37-year-old American DJ said in a video posted Thursday on Facebook that he’s canceling five performances in Europe for the operation and recovery.
“For the past 20 years, all the screaming at my shows have severely messed up my vocal chords,” he said. “I’ve prolonged this surgery for quite some time, and the doc said it’s now or never.
In the video, Aoki showed images of his damaged vocal cords.
“If I don’t save my voice, I won’t have one soon,” he said in the footage. “I don’t have a choice. It has to be done. I’m really trying to cancel the least amount of shows as possible.”
Aoki is calling off performances in Ibiza, Spain; Wijchen, Netherlands; and Newcastle and Upminster, United Kingdom.
The disc jockey is a prolific presence on the electronic dance music scene and has collaborated with the likes of will.i.am, LMFAO, Iggy Azalea and Lil Jon. He released the album “Neon Future II” earlier this month.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Lost Lake Festival to feature life-sized games like pool, foosball
- Study shows what music Arizona listens to the most
- Sugar Ray’s Mark McGrath to play free concert in downtown Phoenix
- John Mayer pays tribute to Glen Campbell with ‘Gentle on My Mind’
- This dog absolutely demands to watch the ‘Despacito’ music video