NEW YORK (AP) — A brief afternoon rally faded away on Wall Street, leaving indexes narrowly mixed on the day.
The short-lived advance Wednesday came after minutes from the Federal Reserve’s latest meeting suggested the central bank wouldn’t begin raising interest rates next month.
The Dow Jones industrial average slipped 27 points, or 0.2 percent, to 18,285.
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index gave up two points, or 0.1 percent, to 2,125. The Nasdaq composite rose a point, less than 0.1 percent, to 5,071.
All three indexes wavered between gains and losses throughout the day.
Etsy plunged 18 percent after reporting a big quarterly loss in its first quarter as a publicly traded company.
Home improvement retailer Lowe’s sank 5 percent after its income and revenue fell short of analysts’ estimates.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 5 safety pitfalls putting your business at risk
- Keeping outdoor workers safe in the scorching desert heat
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees