This is the story that YOU wanted to hear us talk about! It received 61 percent of the vote in our Radioactive poll!
Everyone wants the United States government to save money, but one teen may have found one of the most unique angles to spend over $100 million.
According to CNN, 14-year-old Suvir Mirchandani suggested the government use only one font, Garamond, which could represent a $136 million savings on printer ink annually.
Suvir discovered the potential savings while working on a science fair project. He wanted to find more ways to make schools more environmentally-sustainable and, rather than exploring the old-hat recycled paper, he found that certain fonts use less ink to print.
It may seem minor, but printer ink is expensive.
“Ink is two times more expensive than French perfume by volume,” Suvir says with a chuckle.
When he saw the federal government spent $1.8 billion on printing costs, he realized his project could help them save millions. Suvir sent his idea to the federal government, a spokesman at the Government Printing Office said it has cut down on the amount it prints.
Suvir still contends his idea could save money.
“They can’t convert everything to a digital format; not everyone is able to access information online. Some things still have to be printed,” Suvir argues.
Suvir also said an additional $234 million could be saved nationwide if states shift to the Garamond font.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona