As the number of officer-involved shooting rises year to year, everyone has their own theory as to why.
Some say it’s lax gun laws. Others say it’s mental health issues. But Joe Clure, head of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, said it’s a lot more simple than that: People just don’t respect police officers the way they used to.
“It appears to me that society has changed significantly as it relates to the respect for law enforcement and authority,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos. “When I came on 32 years ago…people would fight with you but it was more of an attempt to escape. They obviously didn’t want to go back to jail. These days it seems like more and more people are more eager and willing to engage law enforcement in lethal confrontations.”
Clure was speaking just 24 hours after Phoenix Police Officer John Hobbs was killed in the line of duty and another officer, who has not been identified, was critically wounded.
Clure worked with Hobbs on-and-off and called him a “solid guy.” But he said Hobbs had a “calling” to be a cop.
“Not everybody wants to do it because some of the things yo are asked to do are very difficult, very dangerous, even more so in Phoenix it appears,” he said, adding that Hobbs’ job of taking down known felons was certainly perilous.
When it comes to keeping officers safe, Clure said the city needs to make sure its police department is well-staffed, given good equipment and trained. The department has lost about 500 officers over the past years.
“It’s obviously going to impact your ability to enforce the law,” he said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident