As the number of officer-involved shooting rises year to year, everyone has their own theory as to why.
Some say it’s lax gun laws. Others say it’s mental health issues. But Joe Clure, head of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, said it’s a lot more simple than that: People just don’t respect police officers the way they used to.
“It appears to me that society has changed significantly as it relates to the respect for law enforcement and authority,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos. “When I came on 32 years ago…people would fight with you but it was more of an attempt to escape. They obviously didn’t want to go back to jail. These days it seems like more and more people are more eager and willing to engage law enforcement in lethal confrontations.”
Clure was speaking just 24 hours after Phoenix Police Officer John Hobbs was killed in the line of duty and another officer, who has not been identified, was critically wounded.
Clure worked with Hobbs on-and-off and called him a “solid guy.” But he said Hobbs had a “calling” to be a cop.
“Not everybody wants to do it because some of the things yo are asked to do are very difficult, very dangerous, even more so in Phoenix it appears,” he said, adding that Hobbs’ job of taking down known felons was certainly perilous.
When it comes to keeping officers safe, Clure said the city needs to make sure its police department is well-staffed, given good equipment and trained. The department has lost about 500 officers over the past years.
“It’s obviously going to impact your ability to enforce the law,” he said.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident