One of three senators who voted for the controversial Senate Bill 1062 that would let businesses deny services based on religion said he had a “lapse” when he voted for the bill.
“I had a lapse last week and I’m apologizing,” Sen. Bob Worsley told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Monday. “I’m going on the record and saying we made a mistake.”
Worsley and two other state senators, Adam Driggs and Steve Pierce, called on Gov. Jan Brewer to veto SB 1062 on Monday.
“We made a mistake and we’re manning up to it,” said Worsley.
The three senators all said they didn’t expect the bill to pass, since it compounded on current Arizona law and a similar bill was struck down last year.
“Three to five of us were very uncomfortable with the bill,” Worsley said.
Both Pierce and Worsley said they were more concerned with keeping the caucus together and at peace since the highly-contentious Medicaid vote, but know feel their priorities were wrong.
“It was a bad call,” said Worsley. “We made a mistake letting this one get out. we’re going to do all we can to stop it.”
After seeing the bill, people around the world began to rip on Arizona. Worsley said he’s aware of how it’s being looked at on the global stage and, as someone who ran after the passing of Senate Bill 1070, an immigration law, he wanted to move the Legislature away from ideological voting.
However, when asked, Worsley said some of the hysteria surrounding the bill has to do with the way it was portrayed by the media.
Worsley said he has “no idea” what Gov. Jan Brewer is thinking, but said a lot of people are calling on her to veto the bill. He hopes it’s enough.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio