One of three senators who voted for the controversial Senate Bill 1062 that would let businesses deny services based on religion said he had a “lapse” when he voted for the bill.
“I had a lapse last week and I’m apologizing,” Sen. Bob Worsley told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Monday. “I’m going on the record and saying we made a mistake.”
Worsley and two other state senators, Adam Driggs and Steve Pierce, called on Gov. Jan Brewer to veto SB 1062 on Monday.
“We made a mistake and we’re manning up to it,” said Worsley.
The three senators all said they didn’t expect the bill to pass, since it compounded on current Arizona law and a similar bill was struck down last year.
“Three to five of us were very uncomfortable with the bill,” Worsley said.
Both Pierce and Worsley said they were more concerned with keeping the caucus together and at peace since the highly-contentious Medicaid vote, but know feel their priorities were wrong.
“It was a bad call,” said Worsley. “We made a mistake letting this one get out. we’re going to do all we can to stop it.”
After seeing the bill, people around the world began to rip on Arizona. Worsley said he’s aware of how it’s being looked at on the global stage and, as someone who ran after the passing of Senate Bill 1070, an immigration law, he wanted to move the Legislature away from ideological voting.
However, when asked, Worsley said some of the hysteria surrounding the bill has to do with the way it was portrayed by the media.
Worsley said he has “no idea” what Gov. Jan Brewer is thinking, but said a lot of people are calling on her to veto the bill. He hopes it’s enough.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident