One of three senators who voted for the controversial Senate Bill 1062 that would let businesses deny services based on religion said he had a “lapse” when he voted for the bill.
“I had a lapse last week and I’m apologizing,” Sen. Bob Worsley told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Monday. “I’m going on the record and saying we made a mistake.”
Worsley and two other state senators, Adam Driggs and Steve Pierce, called on Gov. Jan Brewer to veto SB 1062 on Monday.
“We made a mistake and we’re manning up to it,” said Worsley.
The three senators all said they didn’t expect the bill to pass, since it compounded on current Arizona law and a similar bill was struck down last year.
“Three to five of us were very uncomfortable with the bill,” Worsley said.
Both Pierce and Worsley said they were more concerned with keeping the caucus together and at peace since the highly-contentious Medicaid vote, but know feel their priorities were wrong.
“It was a bad call,” said Worsley. “We made a mistake letting this one get out. we’re going to do all we can to stop it.”
After seeing the bill, people around the world began to rip on Arizona. Worsley said he’s aware of how it’s being looked at on the global stage and, as someone who ran after the passing of Senate Bill 1070, an immigration law, he wanted to move the Legislature away from ideological voting.
However, when asked, Worsley said some of the hysteria surrounding the bill has to do with the way it was portrayed by the media.
Worsley said he has “no idea” what Gov. Jan Brewer is thinking, but said a lot of people are calling on her to veto the bill. He hopes it’s enough.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident