One of the biggest stories of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia has been the poor accommodations for athletes and journalists alike.
While the athletes have been fairly quiet, some journalists have been commenting on unfinished hotels, lack of electricity and general chaos when it comes to getting a place to stay.
Mark Connolly, who works for the Canadian Broadcast Corporation, is one of those journalists. His place basically proved the old adage, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.”
“From the outside, they looked fantastic,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Friday. “But as I got closer, I could see the foyer of my apartment building was just a disaster. I mean, it looked like they were still building it.”
Connolly said there was garbage and debris everywhere and it smelled like drywall dust. But that wasn’t his favorite part.
“There were about 150 stand-up coat hangers…in the hallway. It was like trees.”
But his place wasn’t the worst. He had friends and colleagues who had no power, no hot water or, in one case, an open sewer pipe in their room.
So how do they house all the journalists? Connolly said some of his cameramen had to sleep on couches because they did not have beds and others are constantly on the move.
“They’ve been moving people around to different apartments if their apartment isn’t quite done,” he said.
Connolly brushed off rumors of cameras in the hotel rooms.
“I’ve been looking around for cameras but I haven’t seen any,” he laughed. “If they’re watching me, that’s fine. I don’t have anything to hide.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident