This is the story that YOU wanted to hear us talk about! It received 45 percent of the vote in our Radioactive poll!
If you’ve ever witnessed someone texting while walking — or maybe you’ve been the culprit yourself — you know that balance and walking in a straight line can be challenging.
Now, a new study by the University of Queensland in Australia has revealed that not only can walking while texting be annoying, it can be downright dangerous.
“Texting, and to a lesser extent reading, on your mobile phone affects your ability to walk and balance,” said Siobhan M. Schabrun, an honorary senior fellow at the University of Queensland and the lead author of the study. “This may impact the safety of people who text and walk at the same time.”
The study claims to be the first one to measure how typing away on a cellphone affects “gait performance” and kinematics, the study of body motion, according to CNN.
Twenty-six young people, all experienced with texting, were asked to walk through a room “under the gaze of eight cameras that captured precise details of their motions,” and either scrolled through a text message or were asked to type, “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.”
The results? People walk like robots when they are engrossed in their phones, AZ Central reported.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident