This is the story that YOU wanted to hear us talk about! It received 45 percent of the vote in our Radioactive poll!
If you’ve ever witnessed someone texting while walking — or maybe you’ve been the culprit yourself — you know that balance and walking in a straight line can be challenging.
Now, a new study by the University of Queensland in Australia has revealed that not only can walking while texting be annoying, it can be downright dangerous.
“Texting, and to a lesser extent reading, on your mobile phone affects your ability to walk and balance,” said Siobhan M. Schabrun, an honorary senior fellow at the University of Queensland and the lead author of the study. “This may impact the safety of people who text and walk at the same time.”
The study claims to be the first one to measure how typing away on a cellphone affects “gait performance” and kinematics, the study of body motion, according to CNN.
Twenty-six young people, all experienced with texting, were asked to walk through a room “under the gaze of eight cameras that captured precise details of their motions,” and either scrolled through a text message or were asked to type, “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.”
The results? People walk like robots when they are engrossed in their phones, AZ Central reported.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona