The economic recovery from the closure of the Grand Canyon will not happen overnight, the mayor of Tusayan, Ariz. said Monday.
“I believe that things are changing and what we’ve really done is maybe not turn the full valve on that’s just going to come rushing back,” said Mayor Greg Bryan. “What we’ve done is stopped the bleeding and turned it around.”
Bryan said he knows it will take time for the tourism industry around the canyon to recover, but it was fun to see people at the park when he arrived to reopen Saturday with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.
“It was awesome to see a backup at the gates, people waiting to get in,” he said, adding that he and Brewer arrived about 6 a.m. to reopen the park.
Bryan owns a Best Western hotel in Tusayan and said he was expecting a minor uptick in the number of rooms filled and is also expecting that number to grow.
“As the weather stays nice, people will stick around,” he said.
Some are concerned that the park could be closed again if Arizona fails to pay the bills, but Bryan said he’s not worried.
“Our money and their money is almost $1 million,” he said, adding that it costs about $93,000 per day to keep the canyon open.
Arizona committed $651,000 to reopen the park. Bryan’s community added about $426,500 on top of that.
“I was told they were going to utilize our funds as well, not just state money,” he said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident