The fallout from Rep. Todd Akin’s “legitimate” rape comments is on-going, and Meghan McCain has weighed in.
Akin commented earlier in the week that it was difficult for a woman being raped to become pregnant because her body recognizes what’s going on and shuts down the reproductive process.
“I don’t know if anyone knows anything about women, but I can’t shut off my ovaries whenever I want,” McCain told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos.
Akin has since apologized for his comments, but the controversy he’s caused is likely to stick with him for a while.
“It’s like something out of a really bad [Saturday Night Live] sketch that never aired because it’s so offensive,” said McCain. “It’s delusional.”
McCain echoed the sentiments of many other who have called for Akin’s resignation or removal from the Missouri ballot, but Akin said he has no such plans.
“I don’t understand why he doesn’t step down,” said McCain. “He’s an egotistical maniac that is only seeing the good in himself and not the [Republican] party.”
McCain said Republicans like Akin are the reason that many young members of the party struggle to identify with the party’s leaders.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio