The fallout from Rep. Todd Akin’s “legitimate” rape comments is on-going, and Meghan McCain has weighed in.
Akin commented earlier in the week that it was difficult for a woman being raped to become pregnant because her body recognizes what’s going on and shuts down the reproductive process.
“I don’t know if anyone knows anything about women, but I can’t shut off my ovaries whenever I want,” McCain told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos.
Akin has since apologized for his comments, but the controversy he’s caused is likely to stick with him for a while.
“It’s like something out of a really bad [Saturday Night Live] sketch that never aired because it’s so offensive,” said McCain. “It’s delusional.”
McCain echoed the sentiments of many other who have called for Akin’s resignation or removal from the Missouri ballot, but Akin said he has no such plans.
“I don’t understand why he doesn’t step down,” said McCain. “He’s an egotistical maniac that is only seeing the good in himself and not the [Republican] party.”
McCain said Republicans like Akin are the reason that many young members of the party struggle to identify with the party’s leaders.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident