The fallout from Rep. Todd Akin’s “legitimate” rape comments is on-going, and Meghan McCain has weighed in.
Akin commented earlier in the week that it was difficult for a woman being raped to become pregnant because her body recognizes what’s going on and shuts down the reproductive process.
“I don’t know if anyone knows anything about women, but I can’t shut off my ovaries whenever I want,” McCain told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos.
Akin has since apologized for his comments, but the controversy he’s caused is likely to stick with him for a while.
“It’s like something out of a really bad [Saturday Night Live] sketch that never aired because it’s so offensive,” said McCain. “It’s delusional.”
McCain echoed the sentiments of many other who have called for Akin’s resignation or removal from the Missouri ballot, but Akin said he has no such plans.
“I don’t understand why he doesn’t step down,” said McCain. “He’s an egotistical maniac that is only seeing the good in himself and not the [Republican] party.”
McCain said Republicans like Akin are the reason that many young members of the party struggle to identify with the party’s leaders.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona