Ye Meng Yuan was just 16 years old when she died in the Asiana Airlines crash landing in San Francisco last summer.
What makes her story even more heartbreaking is that Yuan initially survived the crash but was later run over by a fire truck.
CBS News has obtained new video, taken by a fire truck and by the helmet cam of a San Francisco firefighter, showing Yuan’s body lying on the ground near the plane.
While her body appears lifeless, a coroner ruled that at that point, she was still alive.
Officials first said she was accidentally run over “because she may have been hidden in foam sprayed next to the plane.”
But the video footage says otherwise, with firefighters and emergency workers warning trucks to stop, because a body is in their path.
One lieutenant on the scene of the crash said she did not check Yuan’s vitals, despite calling her “our first casualty” after a “three-second” visual assessment.
Three people ultimately died in the crash; 304 survived.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick