Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) took the not-so-hot seat on Tuesday’s episode of “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” where he effortlessly poked fun of himself throughout the segment.
The late-night talk show doesn’t generally feature guests from Capitol Hill, so the 77-year-old senator seemingly thought the best way to connect with Fallon’s audience was through satire. It seemed to work well.
McCain began the conversation by revealing some of the nicknames he had growing up: Punk, McNasty and The White Tornado, to name a few.
But he didn’t stop there. The names took a different tone during his presidential run. “In 2008 — jerk, idiot, loser,” he lightheartedly said before redirecting the conversation. That’s what politicians do best, right?
“Congratulations on your baby,” he said. “I know exactly how that is. After I lost running for president, I slept like a baby. Sleep two hours — wake up and cry, sleep two hours — wake up and cry.”
McCain went on to discuss his cell phone poker addiction, Twitter, Obamacare and his pal Vlad (it’s what he calls Russian President Vladimir Putin). McCain was a good sport throughout the segment, and for a politician, pretty darn funny.
“If you have trouble sleeping, follow me on Twitter.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night