PHOENIX — Video obtained by the Arizona Daily Star shows the moments just before a truck driver slammed into a Department of Public Safety vehicle, killing the officer inside.
The video shows Jorge Espinoza driving on Interstate 8 at about 65 mph while looking at his cell phone. It also shows the moment he struck the vehicle, killing DPS Officer Tim Huffman.
Espinoza, 33, initially told investigators he didn’t see the police cars because he was looking in his mirror at a passing truck, according to DPS. He also told authorities that he never uses his phone while driving because it’s against company policy.
But the DPS records show information taken from the phone shows Espinoza was using the internet at the time of the crash and was looking at “photographs of several women in provocative positions, wearing little clothing” and “photographs of a woman in a low cut dress.”
Espinoza used his phone to look at Facebook, YouTube, female escort web pages, porn sites and social networks on other occasions when he was logged in as driving, according to investigators.
Authorities said Huffman, 47, was in his patrol vehicle writing a report at the time. He was declared dead at the scene.
Espinoza, of Yuma, has pleaded not guilty to 20 felony charges including one count of second-degree murder, 13 of endangerment and six of criminal damage.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments