PHOENIX — Video obtained by the Arizona Daily Star shows the moments just before a truck driver slammed into a Department of Public Safety vehicle, killing the officer inside.
The video shows Jorge Espinoza driving on Interstate 8 at about 65 mph while looking at his cell phone. It also shows the moment he struck the vehicle, killing DPS Officer Tim Huffman.
Espinoza, 33, initially told investigators he didn’t see the police cars because he was looking in his mirror at a passing truck, according to DPS. He also told authorities that he never uses his phone while driving because it’s against company policy.
But the DPS records show information taken from the phone shows Espinoza was using the internet at the time of the crash and was looking at “photographs of several women in provocative positions, wearing little clothing” and “photographs of a woman in a low cut dress.”
Espinoza used his phone to look at Facebook, YouTube, female escort web pages, porn sites and social networks on other occasions when he was logged in as driving, according to investigators.
Authorities said Huffman, 47, was in his patrol vehicle writing a report at the time. He was declared dead at the scene.
Espinoza, of Yuma, has pleaded not guilty to 20 felony charges including one count of second-degree murder, 13 of endangerment and six of criminal damage.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night