A Tennessee community has rallied to give a terminal cancer teen a personalized prom night to cross off her bucket list.
According to ABC News, Katelyn Norman, 14, who was fighting a form of bone cancer known as osteosarcoma for two years passed away, days after doctors informed her there was very little that could be done after it spread last week.
“They said that it has spread a lot, my cancer, and that it’s the beginning of the end of my days and so we started a bucket list,” Katelyn told ABC News Knoxville affiliate WATE-TV. “[I’m] ecstatic. I can’t wait. I just can’t wait to go.”
As going to prom was one of the biggest things on her bucket list, a special prom had been planned for Norman, who was unable to go due to her illness.
Sharon Shepherd, a school employee that had known Norman for years, explained that regardless of her health complications, she wanted the prom to go on.
“Katelyn wanted the prom to go on. That’s her. That’s Katie bug,” Sharon Shepherd told ABCNews.com.
Though Norman wasn’t able to attend the school’s prom, she had one of her own in her hospital room with her prom date, her friends, formal wear and disco balls.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas