Could you imagine being fired for being too attractive?
According to Yahoo!, one Iowa dental assistant was let go because her boss found her too “irresistible” and feared having an affair with her.
But there was one problem: Melissa Nelson was not attracted to her boss, Dr. James Knight.
The two never had a sexual relationship or sought one, according to court documents, however in the final year and a half of Nelson’s employment, Knight began to make comments about her clothing being too tight or distracting.
“Dr. Knight acknowledges he once told Nelson that if she saw his pants bulging, she would know her clothing was too revealing,” the justices wrote.
When she was fired, Nelson sued Knight for gender discrimination. On Friday, an all-male Iowa State Supreme Court confirmed a lower court’s decision that Knight was within his legal rights.
Court documents show that Nelson and Knight exchanged text messages, a majority of which were mundane. However, in one text, Knight asked Nelson “how often she experienced an orgasm.”
Knight’s wife discovered the text messages and ordered him to fire Nelson. After consulting with the couple’s pastor, Knight fired Nelson to preserve his marriage.
Knight maintains that Nelson was a good employee, but was fired for behavioral and dress issues.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck