Could you imagine being fired for being too attractive?
According to Yahoo!, one Iowa dental assistant was let go because her boss found her too “irresistible” and feared having an affair with her.
But there was one problem: Melissa Nelson was not attracted to her boss, Dr. James Knight.
The two never had a sexual relationship or sought one, according to court documents, however in the final year and a half of Nelson’s employment, Knight began to make comments about her clothing being too tight or distracting.
“Dr. Knight acknowledges he once told Nelson that if she saw his pants bulging, she would know her clothing was too revealing,” the justices wrote.
When she was fired, Nelson sued Knight for gender discrimination. On Friday, an all-male Iowa State Supreme Court confirmed a lower court’s decision that Knight was within his legal rights.
Court documents show that Nelson and Knight exchanged text messages, a majority of which were mundane. However, in one text, Knight asked Nelson “how often she experienced an orgasm.”
Knight’s wife discovered the text messages and ordered him to fire Nelson. After consulting with the couple’s pastor, Knight fired Nelson to preserve his marriage.
Knight maintains that Nelson was a good employee, but was fired for behavioral and dress issues.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night