One of the most accomplished athletes in Arizona State University history joined Jay Leno Monday night to promote his new book “Unstoppable.”
What makes Anthony Robles unique? He was born with one leg and yet still captured an NCAA wrestling championship and was named NCAA all-American three times.
“I just wanted to have everything in the book — just my whole life story. There were a lot of struggles. Obviously being born missing my leg. But there were family troubles at home with my mom and my dad. And the main purpose of that book is to give people hope,” he said.
“I wanted people to read my story and see nobody’s life is perfect.”
Leno was so moved by Robles’ story when the two met last year that he wrote the forward in the book.
When asked about getting the title of Disabled Athlete of the Year, Robles said he was honored but he didn’t like the title. “I never grew up thinking I was disabled. I never grew up thinking I was handicapped and that was because of my mom.”
Robles also went to Mesa High School, where he was 96-0 in his last two years. He is now a volunteer coach for the wrestling team at ASU after graduating last year.
Leno asked him if he had a handicapped parking permit for his car. Robles said, “I lost it. I’ve never used it.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.