Paul Walker shined onscreen in movies like “Fast & Furious” and “Pleasantville.” But behind the scenes, there was a part of his life that was kept a secret.
Iraq war veteran Kyle Upham and his wife Kristen recently shared their heartwarming story with Today Entertainment.
After returning from Iraq 10 years ago, Kyle was ready to buy a wedding ring for his wife. The couple stopped by a jewelry store in Santa Barbara, Calif., which happened to be the same one that Walker was shopping at.
Seemingly excited to see the actor, they sparked up a conversation.
“You could tell he had a demeanor about him; it was almost like anybody he probably would meet would become his best friend,” said Kristen.
OK, now back to the ring. Kyle and Kristen eventually found the perfect one. The only problem was its hefty price tag of $9,000. “There was no way we could afford it and just went about our way,” she said.
Shortly after leaving, the store clerk, Irene King, called with some amazing news. Someone had bought the expensive bling for them. While the clerk never revealed who the person was, Kyle and Kristen always suspected it was Walker.
Over a decade later, King felt it was now a good time to let the secret out and share Walker’s kindness with the world.
“He called the manager and he said, ‘Umm, the ring that those people are looking at — put it on my tab,'” King recently told a Los Angeles CBS News affiliate. “Soon after that, he just left.”
Walker died on Saturday in a fiery car accident in Santa Clarita, Calif. The autopsy revealed he died from the impact of the crash, along with injuries sustained from the car’s explosion.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier