Paul Walker shined onscreen in movies like “Fast & Furious” and “Pleasantville.” But behind the scenes, there was a part of his life that was kept a secret.
Iraq war veteran Kyle Upham and his wife Kristen recently shared their heartwarming story with Today Entertainment.
After returning from Iraq 10 years ago, Kyle was ready to buy a wedding ring for his wife. The couple stopped by a jewelry store in Santa Barbara, Calif., which happened to be the same one that Walker was shopping at.
Seemingly excited to see the actor, they sparked up a conversation.
“You could tell he had a demeanor about him; it was almost like anybody he probably would meet would become his best friend,” said Kristen.
OK, now back to the ring. Kyle and Kristen eventually found the perfect one. The only problem was its hefty price tag of $9,000. “There was no way we could afford it and just went about our way,” she said.
Shortly after leaving, the store clerk, Irene King, called with some amazing news. Someone had bought the expensive bling for them. While the clerk never revealed who the person was, Kyle and Kristen always suspected it was Walker.
Over a decade later, King felt it was now a good time to let the secret out and share Walker’s kindness with the world.
“He called the manager and he said, ‘Umm, the ring that those people are looking at — put it on my tab,'” King recently told a Los Angeles CBS News affiliate. “Soon after that, he just left.”
Walker died on Saturday in a fiery car accident in Santa Clarita, Calif. The autopsy revealed he died from the impact of the crash, along with injuries sustained from the car’s explosion.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon