I often post mantras on my Facebook page.
One of my favorites is “Everything happens for a reason.” I try to remind myself of that when something negative and unexpected happens in life, even if I don’t understand why at the time, and there is a reason or purpose and in the end it will come to light.
That happened for James Costello. You may not recognize his name, but you’d probably recognize his face. Costello was supporting a friend who was running in the 2013 Boston Marathon. He was severely injured when two bombs exploded near the finish line.
A photographer captured Costello staggering through the streets with his clothes shredded and his legs burned. In the wake of the blast, that horrific photo became one of the most widely-viewed images around the world.
In an appearance on the “Today” show in December, Costello said that being injured in the bombing was a blessing in disguise because it led him to meet Krista D’Agostino, who was working a six-week stint as a traveling nurse at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.
“One thing that she hates that I always say is I’m actually glad I got blown up,” Costello told show co-host Savannah Guthrie. “I wish everyone else didn’t have to, but I don’t think I would have ever met her if I didn’t, so I’m pretty happy.”
Costello proposed to D’Agostino eight months after meeting her at the rehab center, and they tied the knot Saturday in a beautiful wedding donated by local businesses.
In a Facebook post, Costello wrote “April 15 was one of the worst days of my life. I soon wondered why and for what reason this happened. I now realize why I was involved in the tragedy. It was to meet my best friend, and the love of my life.”
As I said, everything happens for a reason.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development