I often post mantras on my Facebook page.
One of my favorites is “Everything happens for a reason.” I try to remind myself of that when something negative and unexpected happens in life, even if I don’t understand why at the time, and there is a reason or purpose and in the end it will come to light.
That happened for James Costello. You may not recognize his name, but you’d probably recognize his face. Costello was supporting a friend who was running in the 2013 Boston Marathon. He was severely injured when two bombs exploded near the finish line.
A photographer captured Costello staggering through the streets with his clothes shredded and his legs burned. In the wake of the blast, that horrific photo became one of the most widely-viewed images around the world.
In an appearance on the “Today” show in December, Costello said that being injured in the bombing was a blessing in disguise because it led him to meet Krista D’Agostino, who was working a six-week stint as a traveling nurse at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.
“One thing that she hates that I always say is I’m actually glad I got blown up,” Costello told show co-host Savannah Guthrie. “I wish everyone else didn’t have to, but I don’t think I would have ever met her if I didn’t, so I’m pretty happy.”
Costello proposed to D’Agostino eight months after meeting her at the rehab center, and they tied the knot Saturday in a beautiful wedding donated by local businesses.
In a Facebook post, Costello wrote “April 15 was one of the worst days of my life. I soon wondered why and for what reason this happened. I now realize why I was involved in the tragedy. It was to meet my best friend, and the love of my life.”
As I said, everything happens for a reason.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them