I often post mantras on my Facebook page.
One of my favorites is “Everything happens for a reason.” I try to remind myself of that when something negative and unexpected happens in life, even if I don’t understand why at the time, and there is a reason or purpose and in the end it will come to light.
That happened for James Costello. You may not recognize his name, but you’d probably recognize his face. Costello was supporting a friend who was running in the 2013 Boston Marathon. He was severely injured when two bombs exploded near the finish line.
A photographer captured Costello staggering through the streets with his clothes shredded and his legs burned. In the wake of the blast, that horrific photo became one of the most widely-viewed images around the world.
In an appearance on the “Today” show in December, Costello said that being injured in the bombing was a blessing in disguise because it led him to meet Krista D’Agostino, who was working a six-week stint as a traveling nurse at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.
“One thing that she hates that I always say is I’m actually glad I got blown up,” Costello told show co-host Savannah Guthrie. “I wish everyone else didn’t have to, but I don’t think I would have ever met her if I didn’t, so I’m pretty happy.”
Costello proposed to D’Agostino eight months after meeting her at the rehab center, and they tied the knot Saturday in a beautiful wedding donated by local businesses.
In a Facebook post, Costello wrote “April 15 was one of the worst days of my life. I soon wondered why and for what reason this happened. I now realize why I was involved in the tragedy. It was to meet my best friend, and the love of my life.”
As I said, everything happens for a reason.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.