Time Magazine just came out with a list of the 17 most influential burgers in history.
They claim they interviewed burger historians (I didn’t know there was such a thing!) and experts to determine which patties made the biggest impact on the burger industry—and the world at large.
Coming in at No. 1: The White Castle Slider.
The magazine said the “now-iconic square patty” that debuted in 1921 was the first burger to spawn a fast-food empire.
Although I grew up in New York eating White Castle sliders as a kid, I completely disagree that it is the “most influential” burger in history. I guess part of this depends on how you define influential.
The McDonald’s Big Mac and Burger King Whopper are certainly two of the most well-known burgers in America. But when I think of influential I think of something that changes our behavior and has a cultural impact.
I have never seen a fast food chain that has more passionate customers than In-N-Out.
Just look at social media. People get off airplanes and post about how they’re heading straight to In-N-Out because the chain doesn’t exist where they live and it’s the best burger they’ve ever tasted.
Celebrities are constantly posting pictures of their In-N-Out drive-through runs on their Twitter and Instagram accounts. Beyonce even posted a picture of her and her husband, Jay Z, on their private plane eating burgers from In-N-Out as they flew home after a concert. Think about it, they can choose anything in the world to eat and that’s what they picked?
Yup! Because it’s a one-of-a kind burger, that’s delicious and memorable.
I’m sorry Time Magazine, but your burger experts and historians simply got it wrong.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night