Can you guess the most retweeted message of 2013?
According to Today.com, it was “Glee” star Lea Michele tweeting about her boyfriend and co-star Cory Monteith, who had died a few weeks earlier.
Thank you all for helping me through this time with your enormous love & support. Cory will forever be in my heart. pic.twitter.com/XVlZnh9vOc
— Lea Michele (@msleamichele) July 29, 2013
Fans were so touched they retweeted Michele’s tweet more than 396,000 times.
Sadly, the most popular tweets this year involved death.
The second-most retweeted message of 2013 was the news that “Fast and Furious” star Paul Walker had passed. When fans first heard of Walker’s death, they thought it was a hoax, but this official tweet from his staff made the sad news a reality.
— Paul Walker (@RealPaulWalker) December 1, 2013
This message was retweeted more than 395,000 times.
Coming in third was One Direction star, Niall Horan, tweeting that he had turned 20.
Yesss ! I'm 20 ! Wohooo ! No more teens!
— Niall Horan (@NiallOfficial) September 12, 2013
At least that was happier news, and retweeted by 366,936 fans.
Other highlights of the year included retweets about Miley Cyrus twerking at the MTV Video Music Awards, the lights going out at the Super Bowl, the acceptance speeches by Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lawrence at the Academy Awards, news of a new Pope, the birth of a royal baby, Phoenix’s own Grumpy Cat, Tardar Sauce, and the Boston Marathon bombing.
Noticeably absent this year from the top retweets were tweets about politics.
In 2012, President Barack Obama had the most retweeted message in Twitter’s seven-year history. It read, “Four more years,” and included a picture of him embracing the first lady.
I guess this year the government shutdown, the disastrous launch of the Obamacare website and Edward Snowden’s NSA leaks couldn’t beat a tweet about twerking or turning 20. Interesting isn’t it?
In 2013, pop culture certainly made its mark in the Twittersphere.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.