Can you guess the most retweeted message of 2013?
According to Today.com, it was “Glee” star Lea Michele tweeting about her boyfriend and co-star Cory Monteith, who had died a few weeks earlier.
Thank you all for helping me through this time with your enormous love & support. Cory will forever be in my heart. pic.twitter.com/XVlZnh9vOc
— Lea Michele (@msleamichele) July 29, 2013
Fans were so touched they retweeted Michele’s tweet more than 396,000 times.
Sadly, the most popular tweets this year involved death.
The second-most retweeted message of 2013 was the news that “Fast and Furious” star Paul Walker had passed. When fans first heard of Walker’s death, they thought it was a hoax, but this official tweet from his staff made the sad news a reality.
— Paul Walker (@RealPaulWalker) December 1, 2013
This message was retweeted more than 395,000 times.
Coming in third was One Direction star, Niall Horan, tweeting that he had turned 20.
Yesss ! I'm 20 ! Wohooo ! No more teens!
— Niall Horan (@NiallOfficial) September 12, 2013
At least that was happier news, and retweeted by 366,936 fans.
Other highlights of the year included retweets about Miley Cyrus twerking at the MTV Video Music Awards, the lights going out at the Super Bowl, the acceptance speeches by Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lawrence at the Academy Awards, news of a new Pope, the birth of a royal baby, Phoenix’s own Grumpy Cat, Tardar Sauce, and the Boston Marathon bombing.
Noticeably absent this year from the top retweets were tweets about politics.
In 2012, President Barack Obama had the most retweeted message in Twitter’s seven-year history. It read, “Four more years,” and included a picture of him embracing the first lady.
I guess this year the government shutdown, the disastrous launch of the Obamacare website and Edward Snowden’s NSA leaks couldn’t beat a tweet about twerking or turning 20. Interesting isn’t it?
In 2013, pop culture certainly made its mark in the Twittersphere.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development