Suzanne Venker, founder of the site Women for Men, was at it again this weekend on “Fox & Friends,” arguing that women should quit their jobs, get married and have babies.
The segment was entitled, “You do need a husband!”
I survived 40 years on the planet without one, and to be honest, I was pretty happy.
Although I did get married, it was because I fell in love and found someone I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I can assure you it wasn’t so I could quit my job, end my successful career and have babies.
Venker argues that women won’t find fulfillment trying to balance a relationship and family with full-time work.
“Financial independence is a great thing,” she writes on FoxNews.com, “but you can’t take your paycheck to bed with you. And there’s nothing empowering about being beholden to an employer, when what you really want is to have a baby.”
I’m sorry — who said having a baby is what I really want?
Now, don’t get me wrong: We may start a family and there’s no question that being a wife, mother and full-time career woman is extremely difficult to balance. But it’s a disservice to all of the women who have accomplished it to say it’s not possible or not something to strive for.
To argue, as Venker does, that a woman’s place should be in the home raising children and that a man should be the sole breadwinner so women can have a more balanced life is absurd to me.
That doesn’t sound balanced at all.
So many of my friends who are moms say they are better wives and mothers because they work. They say the balance of not just being a mother helps them to be a better wife, mother friend, sister, daughter, et cetera.
Who is Venker to judge other women’s choices?
I applaud women who choose to stay home and raise their kids, but I also applaud women who choose to be mothers and pursue a career.
Whatever works for you and your family works for me.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon