Making a call on your cell phone while flying above 10,000 feet could soon become a reality under new proposal by the Federal Communications Commission.
Tom Wheeler, the FCC’s new chairman, says the rules against cell phones are “outdated and restrictive” and should be reviewed.
While I like the idea of now being able to use electronic devices while flying, I can’t imagine people being allowed to talk on their cell phones during an ENTIRE flight.
As inconsiderate as people are with their cell phone use in restaurants and other public places, it would be a nightmare in the confines of an airplane. Let’s be honest: It’s bad enough to be forced to listen to other people’s conversations on a plane before takeoff and after landing.
The commission says this proposal aims to give airline passengers the same communication access in the air that they have on trains and buses or in coffee shops.
But it’s just not the same. In those places, I can change where I sit or leave altogether. That’s obviously not the case on an airplane. There’s nowhere to go!
I’ll now be forced to listen to business travelers closing deals, leisure travelers blabbing about travel plans and silly conversations about what people had for dinner last night.
As you might imagine, the Association of Flight Attendants is against the proposal, arguing that letting passengers talk away on their phones in-flight could undermine safety. The problem is most experts disagree and say it’s safe.
It’s not a technology issue, it’s a social issue.
For the sake of my sanity and others like me, let’s hope this 22-year ban on in-flight cell phone use continues.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon