Making a call on your cell phone while flying above 10,000 feet could soon become a reality under new proposal by the Federal Communications Commission.
Tom Wheeler, the FCC’s new chairman, says the rules against cell phones are “outdated and restrictive” and should be reviewed.
While I like the idea of now being able to use electronic devices while flying, I can’t imagine people being allowed to talk on their cell phones during an ENTIRE flight.
As inconsiderate as people are with their cell phone use in restaurants and other public places, it would be a nightmare in the confines of an airplane. Let’s be honest: It’s bad enough to be forced to listen to other people’s conversations on a plane before takeoff and after landing.
The commission says this proposal aims to give airline passengers the same communication access in the air that they have on trains and buses or in coffee shops.
But it’s just not the same. In those places, I can change where I sit or leave altogether. That’s obviously not the case on an airplane. There’s nowhere to go!
I’ll now be forced to listen to business travelers closing deals, leisure travelers blabbing about travel plans and silly conversations about what people had for dinner last night.
As you might imagine, the Association of Flight Attendants is against the proposal, arguing that letting passengers talk away on their phones in-flight could undermine safety. The problem is most experts disagree and say it’s safe.
It’s not a technology issue, it’s a social issue.
For the sake of my sanity and others like me, let’s hope this 22-year ban on in-flight cell phone use continues.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona