There is a growing movement to change the Washington Redskins’ name because it is offensive to some Native Americans. The President even weighed in on the controversy this week saying if he was the owner of the Washington Redskins, and he knew the name was “offending a sizable group of people,” then he would “think about changing it.”
Some politicians have called for a name change, including U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minn., who said the league and team are “promoting a racial slur.” Sports columnist Peter King, along with several other football writers, have decided to avoid using the “Redskins” name altogether, and this week opponents of the name held a protest outside the NFL’s fall meetings in the nation’s capital.
Maybe it’s just me, but I think changing the name of the Washington Redskins is misguided and unnecessary. What about the Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves? Are we going to change their names as well?
Pittsburgh has the Pirates. Don’t pirates hijack ships and attack people? I guess we should throw their name out too!
Various people have argued if a segment of Native Americans feel it’s a derogatory name then why use it?
I say use it because the name “Washington Redskins” is 80 years old — it has history, legacy and tradition. Plus, I think many would agree that Redskins fans sing “Hail to the Redskins” every Sunday as an expression of honor, not disparagement.
With the controversy making headlines again, the NFL has agreed to meet with the Oneida Indian Nation to discuss the issue next month. Oneida representative Ray Halbritter said: “It is hypocritical to say you’re America’s pastime but not represent the ideals of America.”
With all due respect Mr. Halbritter, I think you’re fighting a losing battle. The name change is ultimately up to Redskins owner Dan Snyder who has repeatedly said changing the name is NEVER going to happen.
I don’t think it should happen, but that’s just me.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them