Finally! Judge Sherry Stephens issued her ruling regarding whether she will allow cameras in the courtroom for the retrial of the penalty phase in State v. Jodi Arias.
The judge surprised me and IS ALLOWING cameras to record the trial. Yes, I said “record” the trial. You see, she ordered that, although cameras are allowed in the courtroom, nothing can be AIRED until AFTER the jury returns a verdict.
This decision will serve dual purposes. The first being that it will help protect Arias’ right to a fair trial with a fair and impartial jury. The ruling also serves the second purpose of giving the public what they want. In other words, she split the baby.
Before this decision was released Judge Stephens had three options: Continue her stance of no cameras allowed in the courtroom, allow cameras and allow the trial to be aired in real time allow cameras but restrict the airing of the trial until after the verdict comes in. She obviously chose the third option.
Will this decision quench the public’s thirst for details of the retrial? I doubt it. Too many people were and are too invested in this trial to let it just go away. I predict that not as many people will actually watch the trial after the fact but I bet they all set their DVRs and fast-forward through it to the “good parts.”
Do not worry though. I will continue to give you daily updates on the trial right here on KTAR.com, Mac & Gaydos and on my show, The Agenda.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America