When I graduated from college, I thought I was done with education forever. I had written my last paper and taken my last test. It was time for bigger and better things.
Over the next few months I learned a valuable lesson: Education wasn't done with me, yet. In fact, it was just starting to shape my character.
As human beings, we have an innate desire to grow and progress. Education is a major part of that progression. Education doesn't limit itself to K-12 grades and the traditional, four-year college experience. Some of life's most important lessons come from parents, apprenticeships, teamwork, and nearly every other situation in life. But there's no doubt that diplomas and degrees are highly valued in our society.
As Oscar Wilde said, “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” If you are hesitant to go back to school, whether it be to finish high school or pursue a Ph.D., perhaps one of the following reasons will provide the trigger you need to just do it.
1. Career advancement. This is the main reason people choose to go back to school. Some do so to establish more credibility in their field. Others, as a way to break into a new career. According to a New York Times article, those with college degrees have a much easier time finding work, period, and can earn up to twice as much as those without degrees. In this economic climate, not having a degree is a gamble most of us can't afford.
2. Personal growth. Some go back to school because they need something new and meaningful to work toward. School can be an expensive hobby, but even if you have to forgo buying a new car or take out a student loan, the sacrifices are worth it. The skills and intellectual stimulation you get from school stays with you and greatly adds to the person you become. You can't put a price on that.
3. For your children. Study after study has shown that children are more likely to go to college if their parents are university educated. Every parent wants her kids to reach for the stars and be happy. A good education opens up so many doors. If you make school a priority, your kids will notice and education will likely become a high priority for them, as well.
There are dozens of other good reasons to go back to school, but it's usually one of these three that prompts people to just grit their teeth and do it. I have heard many people say they wished they would have done more school, but not once have I heard, “I wish I wouldn't have gotten a degree.”
With flexible schooling opportunities like online classrooms becoming more prevalent across the country, it is becoming easier than ever to go back to school, regardless of your age or family situation. The key is to make the decision then make a commitment to do the work necessary to realize your goal. You will be glad you did.
A graduate of Brigham Young University, Angela is a writer and editor. She blogs at I Think, Therefore I Write.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America