I am all about family history work, so when we found out we were expecting our first child, I naturally turned to the family tree. We gathered up supplies to make a magnetic family tree (with pictures of each of our family members) and gave them to our families for St. Patrick's day. What? You don't give presents to your family on St. Patty's day? It's okay — we usually don't either.
I was 11 weeks along when we told our families (if you'd like to see what we did, you can check it out here), and was even further along when our friends found out. Miscarriages are most common in the first trimester which is one of the reasons people tend to wait a few weeks before sharing the wonderful news.
Can't decide how to announce your pregnancy to your family and friends? Some like to go all out, others prefer a low-key approach. Whatever your style, here are some ideas for you.
Take family pictures with props. If you want to send out cards to family and friends or post it online, grab a chalkboard and draw up your good news. (If you are artistically inclined, you'll be able to get especially creative with this.) You may want to add the due date or a picture from your ultrasound. Whatever you do, make sure that it fits with your personality. Here are two different approaches to the chalkboard prop announcement.
Send out a handmade card. I think anything miniature is adorable, and ever since I was a little girl I have loved fingerprint art. If you have a green ink pad and paper, you are set. Just ink up the fingertips of you and your spouse (and children, if you have them) and get ready to make an adorable and priceless heirloom. This card would be especially fitting for those who already have children. Don't forget to make one for yourself to keep as well!
If your baby has older siblings, let them do the announcing. If going all out isn't quite you, a simple and sweet photograph can speak volumes. Just have your child (or children) hold up a picture of baby from the ultrasound. This photograph, taken by Nicole of Us-ology captures so much and is absolutely gorgeous.
Make a T-shirt and have your child wear it to your next family function. With the words “Only child, expiring (insert due date here)” you are guaranteed to get some gasps, laughs or cries. See how long it takes for people to catch on to your secret.
Talk to your spouse and let him get in on the fun with you. This is one of the biggest announcements the two of you will ever make, so plan together. Be creative and get excited for what the rest of your lives have in store!
Jessie McKinley is a city girl living in a small town. A graduate of Brigham Young University (in Home and Family Living), she now puts her knowledge to use daily as she teaches and raises her two young children, whom she adores.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck