More Americans are heading back into the kitchen. It’s the cool, hip thing to do! To help us get a family dinner on the table without losing our minds, Lucia Schnitzer from Luci’s Healthy Marketplace shares some great tips on making family dishes that are simple, yet healthy.
In the first video, Lucia shares her experience about preparing meals for her family and owning her own store.
In the second, Lucia shows us how to make one of her favorite appetizers, Eggplant Parmesan Polls, the recipe of which is listed below.
Lucia’s Eggplant Parmesan Rolls w/ Swiss chard and fresh mint:
2 medium eggplants, trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1/4 in-think slices
Coarse kosher salt
1 1-pound bunch Swiss chard, center ribs removed and chopped
2 large eggs
1 15ounce container whole milk ricotta cheese
1 1/4 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 15 to 16 ounce can tomato sauce
1 8 ounce ball fresh water-paced mozzarella, drained, thinly sliced
Cover bottom and sides of each of 2 large colanders with 1 layer of eggplant slices; sprinkle generously with coarse salt. Continue
layering eggplant slices in each colander, sprinkling each layer with coarse salt, until all eggplant slices are used. Place each
colander over large bowl; let stand at least 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant slices to remove excess salt; dry thoroughly with paper
Position oven rack 5 to 6 inches from heat source and preheat broiler. Line 3 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on prepared baking sheets. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with avocado oil. Broil 1
sheet at a time until eggplant slices are tender and beginning to brown, watching closely and removing eggplant slices as needed if
cooking too quickly, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove baking sheet from oven and cool eggplant while preparing filling.
Bring large pot of salted water to boil. And chard to pot and boil just until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water.
Squeeze chard very dry, then chop coarsely. Squeeze chard dry again between paper towels. Whisk eggs and pinch of coarse salt
in medium bowl. Stir in chopped chard, ricotta cheese, 1 cup Parmesan, mint, and black pepper.
Lightly oil 15x10x2 inch glass baking dish. Spread 1/3 of tomato sauce evenly over bottom of dish. Divide chard-ricotta filling
among eggplant layers. Create three layers and pack before creating the next layer. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over. Place
mozzarella slices in single layer over rolls. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and mint.
Do ahead: Can be made one day ahead. Cover with foil and chill or freeze.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake eggplant Parmesan rolls, covered with foil, until heated through, about 30 minutes if freshly made
or 40 minutes if refrigerated. Uncover and bake until brown in spots and sauce is bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development