More Americans are heading back into the kitchen. It’s the cool, hip thing to do! To help us get a family dinner on the table without losing our minds, Lucia Schnitzer from Luci’s Healthy Marketplace shares some great tips on making family dishes that are simple, yet healthy.
In the first video, Lucia shares her experience about preparing meals for her family and owning her own store.
In the second, Lucia shows us how to make one of her favorite appetizers, Eggplant Parmesan Polls, the recipe of which is listed below.
Lucia’s Eggplant Parmesan Rolls w/ Swiss chard and fresh mint:
2 medium eggplants, trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1/4 in-think slices
Coarse kosher salt
1 1-pound bunch Swiss chard, center ribs removed and chopped
2 large eggs
1 15ounce container whole milk ricotta cheese
1 1/4 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 15 to 16 ounce can tomato sauce
1 8 ounce ball fresh water-paced mozzarella, drained, thinly sliced
Cover bottom and sides of each of 2 large colanders with 1 layer of eggplant slices; sprinkle generously with coarse salt. Continue
layering eggplant slices in each colander, sprinkling each layer with coarse salt, until all eggplant slices are used. Place each
colander over large bowl; let stand at least 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant slices to remove excess salt; dry thoroughly with paper
Position oven rack 5 to 6 inches from heat source and preheat broiler. Line 3 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on prepared baking sheets. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with avocado oil. Broil 1
sheet at a time until eggplant slices are tender and beginning to brown, watching closely and removing eggplant slices as needed if
cooking too quickly, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove baking sheet from oven and cool eggplant while preparing filling.
Bring large pot of salted water to boil. And chard to pot and boil just until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water.
Squeeze chard very dry, then chop coarsely. Squeeze chard dry again between paper towels. Whisk eggs and pinch of coarse salt
in medium bowl. Stir in chopped chard, ricotta cheese, 1 cup Parmesan, mint, and black pepper.
Lightly oil 15x10x2 inch glass baking dish. Spread 1/3 of tomato sauce evenly over bottom of dish. Divide chard-ricotta filling
among eggplant layers. Create three layers and pack before creating the next layer. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over. Place
mozzarella slices in single layer over rolls. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and mint.
Do ahead: Can be made one day ahead. Cover with foil and chill or freeze.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake eggplant Parmesan rolls, covered with foil, until heated through, about 30 minutes if freshly made
or 40 minutes if refrigerated. Uncover and bake until brown in spots and sauce is bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns