Sept. 1 marked the third case of air rage involving a reclined seat in just nine days — a Delta flight was diverted when a passenger simply had enough after being hit in the head by a reclined seat.
Though the passenger’s behavior is by no means justified, it is understandable.
I abide by one simple rule when I fly: if someone is sitting behind me, I never recline my seat. It’s not only common sense, but common courtesy.
I’ve never understood why so many people who fly become so self-absorbed as to think their needs and comfort are the only ones that count. Here’s a simple rule — don’t do it. I understand that most airplane seats recline and there are no rules prohibiting this selfish act. However, just because something is permissible, doesn’t make it right.
Remember, we all leave early to get to the airport. We are all frustrated with the extra fees, especially when we simply want to bring a suitcase. We are all equally frustrated with the long lines and understaffed security lines. We are all frustrated over $10 beers when we want to drink our frustrations away.
So, for the sake of all humanity, show a little compassion and empathy for the person behind you. Leave your seatback up.
As I get ready to take a flight next week, I hope the person in front of me remembers the timeless Biblical verse, “… do to others what you would have them do to you.” You don’t like it when the person in front of you reclines their seat, so don’t do it yourself.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns