Sept. 1 marked the third case of air rage involving a reclined seat in just nine days — a Delta flight was diverted when a passenger simply had enough after being hit in the head by a reclined seat.
Though the passenger’s behavior is by no means justified, it is understandable.
I abide by one simple rule when I fly: if someone is sitting behind me, I never recline my seat. It’s not only common sense, but common courtesy.
I’ve never understood why so many people who fly become so self-absorbed as to think their needs and comfort are the only ones that count. Here’s a simple rule — don’t do it. I understand that most airplane seats recline and there are no rules prohibiting this selfish act. However, just because something is permissible, doesn’t make it right.
Remember, we all leave early to get to the airport. We are all frustrated with the extra fees, especially when we simply want to bring a suitcase. We are all equally frustrated with the long lines and understaffed security lines. We are all frustrated over $10 beers when we want to drink our frustrations away.
So, for the sake of all humanity, show a little compassion and empathy for the person behind you. Leave your seatback up.
As I get ready to take a flight next week, I hope the person in front of me remembers the timeless Biblical verse, “… do to others what you would have them do to you.” You don’t like it when the person in front of you reclines their seat, so don’t do it yourself.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.