Your place is underwater, way underwater. You can’t
sell because you won’t get what you want/need for it.
The payments may be a little too much for you.
So you decide you’ll rent a place for less than your
motgage payment and then rent your home out.
Easy peasy, right?
Not so much.
Another familiar scenario…. you get married, engaged or
move in together.
Now you’ve got an extra place on your hands.
You’re not alone.
There are hundreds of people in the Valley that have found
themselves in a position they didn’t really want on their
Linda Williams, my co-host, has coined the term
“Accidental Landlords” for That
Real Estate Show airing
Saturdays at 3pm on News Talk 92.3 KTAR.
By the same token, with so many short sales and
foreclosures, people are renting until they get their
credit back up to where they can buy again.
Out of these two groups we’re finding no one knows their
A whole whack of people that don’t know what they’re
There is help.
It’s coming in the form of the City of Phoenix. More on
that in a moment.
For example, I thought if my renter notifies me that
something is broken, I have 48 hours to fix it.
Turns out I have 5 days for emergency items and 10 days
to fix other items.
Did you also know that if you have a rental property you
are supposed to register with Maricopa County?
We’re talking fines of $1,000 if you don’t. Serious
If you live out of state you have to have someone in state
that can represent you so the city can contact them.
Back to the City of Phoenix.
Alma Lara joined us on the show. She’s a Landlord and
Tenant Conselor with the City of Phoenix.
The City of Phoenix also provides a Landlord and Tenant
Workshop every quarter.
Best part? It’s free.
The next on is July 19, 2012
City of Phoenix Neighborhood Services Department
3325 W. Flower, Phoenix, AZ, 85017
(Thomas & 32nd Avenue)
Did I mention that it’s free?
I’ll be there.
The Neighborhood Services Department is home to the only
city-run certified Landlord/Tenant Counseling Program in
Arizona. Counselors provide education to both landlords
and tenants on their rights under the Arizona Residential
Landlord and Tenant Act.
The Landlord/Tenant Counselors provide counseling and
housing mediation services to city of Phoenix residents,
and information to landlords and tenants in-person and on
the phone. Counselors also conduct workshops to educate
the public about the provisions of the Arizona Residential
Landlord and Tenant Act.
Landlord/Tenant Counselors Program
Neighborhood Services Department
200 W. Washington St., 4th Floor
Phoenix, AZ 85003
Diane Brennan is Your Voice in Real Estate for the
Phoenix, Arizona metro area. She also co-hosts That
Estate Show on News Talk 92.3 KTAR. She failed
at pursuing a career in Gold Digging and currently helps
people buy and sell property everywhere in the Phoenix
metro area from Scottsdale to Paradise Valley to Goodyear
and Chandler. Rumor is she knows her stuff and can be
quite enjoyable to be around for long periods of time.
Her driving….not so much.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night