PHOENIX – The ACLU of Arizona stopped by to talk about what the organization does and what it tries to accomplish.
Alessandra Soler, Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona told me about the ACLU and what it’s all about.
“The ACLU is a non-profit civil rights organization that defends everyone’s rights. We defend the principles and the values that are outlined in the Bill of Rights,” Soler said.
I also asked Soler about illegal immigration.
Soler explained that back in the day, one of the goals of the non-profit was to help European immigrants who were being kicked out based on their political affiliations.
When I asked her if this means she was defending immigrants who cross illegally into the country, she said she was defending everyone’s rights to fairness.
“What we’re saying is that our immigration laws have to treat people fairly and humanely,” she said. “Many people are coming into this country because they are seeking better lives for themselves and they come to work.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments