PHOENIX – The ACLU of Arizona stopped by to talk about what the organization does and what it tries to accomplish.
Alessandra Soler, Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona told me about the ACLU and what it’s all about.
“The ACLU is a non-profit civil rights organization that defends everyone’s rights. We defend the principles and the values that are outlined in the Bill of Rights,” Soler said.
I also asked Soler about illegal immigration.
Soler explained that back in the day, one of the goals of the non-profit was to help European immigrants who were being kicked out based on their political affiliations.
When I asked her if this means she was defending immigrants who cross illegally into the country, she said she was defending everyone’s rights to fairness.
“What we’re saying is that our immigration laws have to treat people fairly and humanely,” she said. “Many people are coming into this country because they are seeking better lives for themselves and they come to work.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier