Let me introduce myself. I’m a non-gambler who doesn’t live in Glendale.
Notice I didn’t say I’m neither an anti-gambler nor am I negatively disposed toward one of the really nice cities in the West Valley.
Listen, almost everyone I know enjoys blackjack, poker or the slots. I just find most games of chance, for me, to be as exciting as macramé. But I sure do love the casinos we have in Arizona. I like the money that goes to the state. I like the employment opportunities. And I really like what the revenue has meant to the native people on the reservations.
That’s why I continue to be puzzled at the passionate opposition critics have taken to the Tohono O’odham’s successful quest for a casino in Glendale after years of negotiations.
The Glendale City Council approved it, Washington has approved it — but there are still those whose moral high ground stance is opposed because they feel schools and churches nearby will be tainted somehow.
Senators McCain and Flake are even attempting to block it.
Gee, I wonder where they were when Native Americans were attempting to find the billions of their money the government simply lost a while back.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night