Let me introduce myself. I’m a non-gambler who doesn’t live in Glendale.
Notice I didn’t say I’m neither an anti-gambler nor am I negatively disposed toward one of the really nice cities in the West Valley.
Listen, almost everyone I know enjoys blackjack, poker or the slots. I just find most games of chance, for me, to be as exciting as macramé. But I sure do love the casinos we have in Arizona. I like the money that goes to the state. I like the employment opportunities. And I really like what the revenue has meant to the native people on the reservations.
That’s why I continue to be puzzled at the passionate opposition critics have taken to the Tohono O’odham’s successful quest for a casino in Glendale after years of negotiations.
The Glendale City Council approved it, Washington has approved it — but there are still those whose moral high ground stance is opposed because they feel schools and churches nearby will be tainted somehow.
Senators McCain and Flake are even attempting to block it.
Gee, I wonder where they were when Native Americans were attempting to find the billions of their money the government simply lost a while back.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.