Let me introduce myself. I’m a non-gambler who doesn’t live in Glendale.
Notice I didn’t say I’m neither an anti-gambler nor am I negatively disposed toward one of the really nice cities in the West Valley.
Listen, almost everyone I know enjoys blackjack, poker or the slots. I just find most games of chance, for me, to be as exciting as macramé. But I sure do love the casinos we have in Arizona. I like the money that goes to the state. I like the employment opportunities. And I really like what the revenue has meant to the native people on the reservations.
That’s why I continue to be puzzled at the passionate opposition critics have taken to the Tohono O’odham’s successful quest for a casino in Glendale after years of negotiations.
The Glendale City Council approved it, Washington has approved it — but there are still those whose moral high ground stance is opposed because they feel schools and churches nearby will be tainted somehow.
Senators McCain and Flake are even attempting to block it.
Gee, I wonder where they were when Native Americans were attempting to find the billions of their money the government simply lost a while back.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon