Let me introduce myself. I’m a non-gambler who doesn’t live in Glendale.
Notice I didn’t say I’m neither an anti-gambler nor am I negatively disposed toward one of the really nice cities in the West Valley.
Listen, almost everyone I know enjoys blackjack, poker or the slots. I just find most games of chance, for me, to be as exciting as macramé. But I sure do love the casinos we have in Arizona. I like the money that goes to the state. I like the employment opportunities. And I really like what the revenue has meant to the native people on the reservations.
That’s why I continue to be puzzled at the passionate opposition critics have taken to the Tohono O’odham’s successful quest for a casino in Glendale after years of negotiations.
The Glendale City Council approved it, Washington has approved it — but there are still those whose moral high ground stance is opposed because they feel schools and churches nearby will be tainted somehow.
Senators McCain and Flake are even attempting to block it.
Gee, I wonder where they were when Native Americans were attempting to find the billions of their money the government simply lost a while back.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever