Thursday night I’m going to find out whether Arizona public education deserves to be ranked somewhere between the reindeer herders of Lapland and the yurt-dwelling citizens of inner Mongolia, as we have been told.
I’ve grown tired of reading every survey that compares our children with everyone else’s in the U.S., concluding that the only child less capable than the students in Arizona is that kid playing the banjo in “Deliverance.”
Agreed, we can do a whole lot better, especially if voters can convince local lawmakers that adequately stimulating a young mind is a better investment than sending a legislator on a fact-finding trip to Maui.
So at 7:00 p.m. on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR, I’m going to ask a lot of questions that we’ve all be wondering about for a long time, and I’ll be asking them to the Arizona Public School Teacher of the Year, the superintendent of Catholic education in the Valley and an administrator of a charter school that was just named one of the best in the world.
At last, we may find out what’s wrong — and what’s right — with Arizona education.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier