Thursday night I’m going to find out whether Arizona public education deserves to be ranked somewhere between the reindeer herders of Lapland and the yurt-dwelling citizens of inner Mongolia, as we have been told.
I’ve grown tired of reading every survey that compares our children with everyone else’s in the U.S., concluding that the only child less capable than the students in Arizona is that kid playing the banjo in “Deliverance.”
Agreed, we can do a whole lot better, especially if voters can convince local lawmakers that adequately stimulating a young mind is a better investment than sending a legislator on a fact-finding trip to Maui.
So at 7:00 p.m. on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR, I’m going to ask a lot of questions that we’ve all be wondering about for a long time, and I’ll be asking them to the Arizona Public School Teacher of the Year, the superintendent of Catholic education in the Valley and an administrator of a charter school that was just named one of the best in the world.
At last, we may find out what’s wrong — and what’s right — with Arizona education.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains