Thursday night I’m going to find out whether Arizona public education deserves to be ranked somewhere between the reindeer herders of Lapland and the yurt-dwelling citizens of inner Mongolia, as we have been told.
I’ve grown tired of reading every survey that compares our children with everyone else’s in the U.S., concluding that the only child less capable than the students in Arizona is that kid playing the banjo in “Deliverance.”
Agreed, we can do a whole lot better, especially if voters can convince local lawmakers that adequately stimulating a young mind is a better investment than sending a legislator on a fact-finding trip to Maui.
So at 7:00 p.m. on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR, I’m going to ask a lot of questions that we’ve all be wondering about for a long time, and I’ll be asking them to the Arizona Public School Teacher of the Year, the superintendent of Catholic education in the Valley and an administrator of a charter school that was just named one of the best in the world.
At last, we may find out what’s wrong — and what’s right — with Arizona education.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon