I liked Jay Leno. (Come on, is there anyone who honestly disliked Jay Leno?) But I loved Johnny Carson! If I had lived closer to his house, I could have been a stalker.
And I’m also a fan of Jimmy Fallon. So much so, that it will be personally pleasing to me if he’s successful as the new host of “The Tonight Show,” and I’ll be sad if he fails.
I’m not about to do an official review of this first week; I don’t write a television column. I’m a viewer, like you, and it’s unfair to judge anyone’s efforts too soon. “M*A*S*H” started out badly and Dick Van Dyke was almost cancelled. But since “The Tonight Show” is an American institution, let’s at least take a look at some of the highs and lows of this new era of watching TV.
The set and the studio are spectacular. The Roots, Fallon’s house band, is perfect to move the show musically into the 21st century. The music moment, however, belonged to U2 on top of Rockefeller Center, playing with the Rutgers Drumline against the Manhattan skyline. Surprise drop-ins by superstars keep everybody’s interest.
But while Fallon dances and sings and does comedy, I hope all his interviews aren’t going to continue to be love fests. I just don’t want to spend my late nights in bed with Katie Couric.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night