Tonight, a champion will be crowned in the BCS National Championship.
But when I was a kid, we had only four bowls… The New Year’s Day bowl games. No matter how rocky you felt from the night before, the new year always seemed to be starting out great because there was an Orange Bowl from Florida, the Sugar Bowl from New Orleans, the Cotton Bowl from Dallas and finally the granddaddy of them all… The Rose Bowl from Pasadena, pitting the Big-10 champs against the best of the pacific coast schools. What a day!
So what happened? Suddenly, postseason football games were reproducing like someone had created a bunny bowl. As I said, we had four and now there are 35 NCAA FBS bowl games with more to come.
It’s so pathetic all you have to do to be bowl eligible is win half your games. Half! It’s certainly not because the fans demand it. There are some contests played before more vendors than spectators. There’s a Fight Hunger bowl. Maybe we could have a Stop War bowl on the same day the Military Bowl is played? The famous Idaho Potato bowl, the San Diego County Credit Union Pointsettia Bowl… excuse me!
I’m just suffering from bowl obstruction.
I’m Pat McMahon
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees