Tonight, a champion will be crowned in the BCS National Championship.
But when I was a kid, we had only four bowls… The New Year’s Day bowl games. No matter how rocky you felt from the night before, the new year always seemed to be starting out great because there was an Orange Bowl from Florida, the Sugar Bowl from New Orleans, the Cotton Bowl from Dallas and finally the granddaddy of them all… The Rose Bowl from Pasadena, pitting the Big-10 champs against the best of the pacific coast schools. What a day!
So what happened? Suddenly, postseason football games were reproducing like someone had created a bunny bowl. As I said, we had four and now there are 35 NCAA FBS bowl games with more to come.
It’s so pathetic all you have to do to be bowl eligible is win half your games. Half! It’s certainly not because the fans demand it. There are some contests played before more vendors than spectators. There’s a Fight Hunger bowl. Maybe we could have a Stop War bowl on the same day the Military Bowl is played? The famous Idaho Potato bowl, the San Diego County Credit Union Pointsettia Bowl… excuse me!
I’m just suffering from bowl obstruction.
I’m Pat McMahon
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode