Tonight, a champion will be crowned in the BCS National Championship.
But when I was a kid, we had only four bowls… The New Year’s Day bowl games. No matter how rocky you felt from the night before, the new year always seemed to be starting out great because there was an Orange Bowl from Florida, the Sugar Bowl from New Orleans, the Cotton Bowl from Dallas and finally the granddaddy of them all… The Rose Bowl from Pasadena, pitting the Big-10 champs against the best of the pacific coast schools. What a day!
So what happened? Suddenly, postseason football games were reproducing like someone had created a bunny bowl. As I said, we had four and now there are 35 NCAA FBS bowl games with more to come.
It’s so pathetic all you have to do to be bowl eligible is win half your games. Half! It’s certainly not because the fans demand it. There are some contests played before more vendors than spectators. There’s a Fight Hunger bowl. Maybe we could have a Stop War bowl on the same day the Military Bowl is played? The famous Idaho Potato bowl, the San Diego County Credit Union Pointsettia Bowl… excuse me!
I’m just suffering from bowl obstruction.
I’m Pat McMahon
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.