Tonight, a champion will be crowned in the BCS National Championship.
But when I was a kid, we had only four bowls… The New Year’s Day bowl games. No matter how rocky you felt from the night before, the new year always seemed to be starting out great because there was an Orange Bowl from Florida, the Sugar Bowl from New Orleans, the Cotton Bowl from Dallas and finally the granddaddy of them all… The Rose Bowl from Pasadena, pitting the Big-10 champs against the best of the pacific coast schools. What a day!
So what happened? Suddenly, postseason football games were reproducing like someone had created a bunny bowl. As I said, we had four and now there are 35 NCAA FBS bowl games with more to come.
It’s so pathetic all you have to do to be bowl eligible is win half your games. Half! It’s certainly not because the fans demand it. There are some contests played before more vendors than spectators. There’s a Fight Hunger bowl. Maybe we could have a Stop War bowl on the same day the Military Bowl is played? The famous Idaho Potato bowl, the San Diego County Credit Union Pointsettia Bowl… excuse me!
I’m just suffering from bowl obstruction.
I’m Pat McMahon
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development