Is it possible that it’s been 30 years since I used to do radio shows from the two floors of Good Samaritan that were formerly Phoenix Children’s Hospital?
Those were the days when a nurse or a doctor would call the “Wallace and Ladmo Show” office and tell us that one of the patients would like us to come visit, and we went because it was Phoenix Children’s Hospital, and they always knew the right thing to do.
In those years, PCH has grown into a tower-home that’s a 4-story monument to caring. Yes, now PCH is considered to be one of the top pediatric hospitals in the nation, but they take care of our kids with the same warmth and personal attention that they did when both Phoenix and the hospital were smaller.
I can tell you now, way back then, a nurse would occasionally sneak a pet into the kids playroom. Now, the animal-assisted therapy program is a part of getting better with a dog to hug.
They are technologically advanced. They can be medically miraculous. But most importantly, for 30 years, they are ours. Phoenix Children’s Hospital: Happy birthday.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night