The wheels under Air Force One had barely been retracted as President Obama left the Valley Tuesday, when Governor Jan Brewer issued the official response to his visit.
She denounced Obama for promoting “big government” to his audience of primarily students at Desert Vista High School, and adding that she was disappointed with the president.
And I’m disappointed in you, Governor Brewer. Many Arizonans were relieved you didn’t use another finger when welcoming him. But was it really necessary to issue such a harsh, self-serving critique virtually before he could turn off his electrical devices and make sure his seat belt was secure?
And it’s only your timing I’m questioning.
For the life of me, I still have no idea why he made the trip. But he did come here and he is the President of the United States and, to me, you appeared to be either spiteful or desperate for more national exposure.
If you were attempting to untrack his re-election — governor he’s not running again and you’re making me grateful that neither are you.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain