Hey, white Anglo guy.
Not all of you. Just the one who keeps sending comments to my computer about anything negative done by anyone with a Latino name.
I’m sure you must have seen them. If there’s a news story about a drive-by shooting and there’s a suspect named Guillermo, this guy writes a response like “What do you expect from them?” He, of course, ignores the fact that the victim’s name is Ricardo.
It doesn’t matter what the story is, either — crime, a foreclosure, a traffic accident — he calls attention that some person with a Latino name has failed.
Well, white Anglo guy, here’s one of those names I’d like you to remember. In fact, I’d like you to find him on the Internet. His name is Carlos Arredondo.
He’s fairly easy to find among the street interviews from Boston on Monday. He’s the one covered in the blood of the casualties he tried to save. The American flag he’s holding is bloody too. Carlos had to use it as a tourniquet working for the Red Cross.
I don’t know whether Carlos Arredondo is an American citizen, but I do know he’s a “héroe.” That’s Spanish for hero!
I’m Pat McMahon.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain