Tuesday, the City of Phoenix made history.
There must have been some kind of record set when a city council meeting took four hours to settle one addition to a law and needed a location as spacious as the Orpheum Theatre to debate it with the public. The heated issue was whether Phoenix’s anti-discrimination law that prohibits unjust treatment of anyone based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information or marital status should include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders.
I’m not kidding.
We’re just now getting around to officially saying you can’t refuse service to someone because she’s a Jew or now because she’s a lesbian. Yeah, We may be a little late on this: 160 U.S. cities have already passed it, including Tucson.
Believe it or not, the opponents made it a “but where will they go to the bathroom?” issue. Apparently, some are basing their fear of mixing gays and straights with all the trouble that’s been caused by removing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell from the military.
What? There hasn’t been any trouble in the military except male officers forcing themselves on lower-rank females?
You just can’t trust those heterosexuals, can you?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets