Tuesday, the City of Phoenix made history.
There must have been some kind of record set when a city council meeting took four hours to settle one addition to a law and needed a location as spacious as the Orpheum Theatre to debate it with the public. The heated issue was whether Phoenix’s anti-discrimination law that prohibits unjust treatment of anyone based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information or marital status should include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders.
I’m not kidding.
We’re just now getting around to officially saying you can’t refuse service to someone because she’s a Jew or now because she’s a lesbian. Yeah, We may be a little late on this: 160 U.S. cities have already passed it, including Tucson.
Believe it or not, the opponents made it a “but where will they go to the bathroom?” issue. Apparently, some are basing their fear of mixing gays and straights with all the trouble that’s been caused by removing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell from the military.
What? There hasn’t been any trouble in the military except male officers forcing themselves on lower-rank females?
You just can’t trust those heterosexuals, can you?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments