Tuesday, the City of Phoenix made history.
There must have been some kind of record set when a city council meeting took four hours to settle one addition to a law and needed a location as spacious as the Orpheum Theatre to debate it with the public. The heated issue was whether Phoenix’s anti-discrimination law that prohibits unjust treatment of anyone based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information or marital status should include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders.
I’m not kidding.
We’re just now getting around to officially saying you can’t refuse service to someone because she’s a Jew or now because she’s a lesbian. Yeah, We may be a little late on this: 160 U.S. cities have already passed it, including Tucson.
Believe it or not, the opponents made it a “but where will they go to the bathroom?” issue. Apparently, some are basing their fear of mixing gays and straights with all the trouble that’s been caused by removing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell from the military.
What? There hasn’t been any trouble in the military except male officers forcing themselves on lower-rank females?
You just can’t trust those heterosexuals, can you?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona