As the days of sequestration draw close — with the national economy on the brink — and the future of a large part of Christianity anxiously waiting for the election of a new Roman Catholic Pope, what is the single topic that is at the forefront of all our thoughts this weekend?
Yes, Sunday is Academy Award night and the only drone most of us are interested in has to do with the length of the acceptance speeches. There are Oscar parties all over the Valley and, if you’re not going to one, it may be that you don’t want company while you decide on your own whether the Academy got it right.
Everybody makes predictions, but I’m about to go out on a limb by sharing my personal choices for who I think the winners should be.
Best actor: Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln for introducing me to someone I thought I knew well.
Best actress: Surprise! Quvenzhane Wallis for “Beasts of the Southern Wild.” The other nominees had a lifeline of experience. She was only 6 and astounding.
Best picture: “The Life of Pi,” in recognition of Director Ang Lee courageously creating an entire motion picture around the number 3.1415.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates