As the days of sequestration draw close — with the national economy on the brink — and the future of a large part of Christianity anxiously waiting for the election of a new Roman Catholic Pope, what is the single topic that is at the forefront of all our thoughts this weekend?
Yes, Sunday is Academy Award night and the only drone most of us are interested in has to do with the length of the acceptance speeches. There are Oscar parties all over the Valley and, if you’re not going to one, it may be that you don’t want company while you decide on your own whether the Academy got it right.
Everybody makes predictions, but I’m about to go out on a limb by sharing my personal choices for who I think the winners should be.
Best actor: Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln for introducing me to someone I thought I knew well.
Best actress: Surprise! Quvenzhane Wallis for “Beasts of the Southern Wild.” The other nominees had a lifeline of experience. She was only 6 and astounding.
Best picture: “The Life of Pi,” in recognition of Director Ang Lee courageously creating an entire motion picture around the number 3.1415.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees