As the days of sequestration draw close — with the national economy on the brink — and the future of a large part of Christianity anxiously waiting for the election of a new Roman Catholic Pope, what is the single topic that is at the forefront of all our thoughts this weekend?
Yes, Sunday is Academy Award night and the only drone most of us are interested in has to do with the length of the acceptance speeches. There are Oscar parties all over the Valley and, if you’re not going to one, it may be that you don’t want company while you decide on your own whether the Academy got it right.
Everybody makes predictions, but I’m about to go out on a limb by sharing my personal choices for who I think the winners should be.
Best actor: Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln for introducing me to someone I thought I knew well.
Best actress: Surprise! Quvenzhane Wallis for “Beasts of the Southern Wild.” The other nominees had a lifeline of experience. She was only 6 and astounding.
Best picture: “The Life of Pi,” in recognition of Director Ang Lee courageously creating an entire motion picture around the number 3.1415.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development