Did you have a nice President’s Day?
I’ve always been curious about what exactly is the appropriate way to celebrate the holiday. Should we spend the day looking stern and lying to everyone we meet as a tribute to Richard Nixon? We could have a fireside chat with someone like Roosevelt did or we could “hit on” every woman we meet like, well, a lot of them.
As for me, I celebrated President’s Day by going to the Oscar-nominated film “Lincoln” and it was the perfect way to honor the chief executive, at least that one.
The movie focuses on Lincoln’s singular efforts to get the anti-slavery 13th amendment to the Constitution passed. It’s a remarkable piece of history and anyone who sees this film will come away with the distinct feeling that Congress today is far more respectful and far less partisan than the elected officials of Lincoln’s era. Behavior on the floor of the House of Representatives often looked more like a bar crowd in a bad saloon, referring to the president as a dictator, an ape and worse.
Even if it doesn’t win the Academy Award, you may wind up with more positive thoughts about Washington 2013.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night