Did you have a nice President’s Day?
I’ve always been curious about what exactly is the appropriate way to celebrate the holiday. Should we spend the day looking stern and lying to everyone we meet as a tribute to Richard Nixon? We could have a fireside chat with someone like Roosevelt did or we could “hit on” every woman we meet like, well, a lot of them.
As for me, I celebrated President’s Day by going to the Oscar-nominated film “Lincoln” and it was the perfect way to honor the chief executive, at least that one.
The movie focuses on Lincoln’s singular efforts to get the anti-slavery 13th amendment to the Constitution passed. It’s a remarkable piece of history and anyone who sees this film will come away with the distinct feeling that Congress today is far more respectful and far less partisan than the elected officials of Lincoln’s era. Behavior on the floor of the House of Representatives often looked more like a bar crowd in a bad saloon, referring to the president as a dictator, an ape and worse.
Even if it doesn’t win the Academy Award, you may wind up with more positive thoughts about Washington 2013.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments