Did you have a nice President’s Day?
I’ve always been curious about what exactly is the appropriate way to celebrate the holiday. Should we spend the day looking stern and lying to everyone we meet as a tribute to Richard Nixon? We could have a fireside chat with someone like Roosevelt did or we could “hit on” every woman we meet like, well, a lot of them.
As for me, I celebrated President’s Day by going to the Oscar-nominated film “Lincoln” and it was the perfect way to honor the chief executive, at least that one.
The movie focuses on Lincoln’s singular efforts to get the anti-slavery 13th amendment to the Constitution passed. It’s a remarkable piece of history and anyone who sees this film will come away with the distinct feeling that Congress today is far more respectful and far less partisan than the elected officials of Lincoln’s era. Behavior on the floor of the House of Representatives often looked more like a bar crowd in a bad saloon, referring to the president as a dictator, an ape and worse.
Even if it doesn’t win the Academy Award, you may wind up with more positive thoughts about Washington 2013.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development