Did you notice at Tuesday’s State of the Union address, First Lady Michelle Obama had almost as many guests around her as there were representatives and senators on the floor.
Perhaps the president was considering the philosophy that states: “If you can’t beat them, surround them.”
Man, just seated with the First Lady we noticed members of the military, students, teachers, small businesses, large-large businesses (like the CEO of Apple), medical people, a governor, a mayor — not just any mayor, you understand — the mayor of Avondale, Ariz., our own Maria Lopez Rogers. What a story she has.
Long before she was elected in 2006, she grew up in the exact same area, but then it was a cotton land and that’s where she worked next to her migrant family in the farm labor camp that now is the home of Avondale City Hall, where Mayor Roger’s office is. What a journey.
Not quite as long as another guest at the State of the Union: Desiline Victor, originally from Haiti, now Miami; she’s 102-years-old. Why was she invited?
She voted in the last election.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon