Did you notice at Tuesday’s State of the Union address, First Lady Michelle Obama had almost as many guests around her as there were representatives and senators on the floor.
Perhaps the president was considering the philosophy that states: “If you can’t beat them, surround them.”
Man, just seated with the First Lady we noticed members of the military, students, teachers, small businesses, large-large businesses (like the CEO of Apple), medical people, a governor, a mayor — not just any mayor, you understand — the mayor of Avondale, Ariz., our own Maria Lopez Rogers. What a story she has.
Long before she was elected in 2006, she grew up in the exact same area, but then it was a cotton land and that’s where she worked next to her migrant family in the farm labor camp that now is the home of Avondale City Hall, where Mayor Roger’s office is. What a journey.
Not quite as long as another guest at the State of the Union: Desiline Victor, originally from Haiti, now Miami; she’s 102-years-old. Why was she invited?
She voted in the last election.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees