Did you notice at Tuesday’s State of the Union address, First Lady Michelle Obama had almost as many guests around her as there were representatives and senators on the floor.
Perhaps the president was considering the philosophy that states: “If you can’t beat them, surround them.”
Man, just seated with the First Lady we noticed members of the military, students, teachers, small businesses, large-large businesses (like the CEO of Apple), medical people, a governor, a mayor — not just any mayor, you understand — the mayor of Avondale, Ariz., our own Maria Lopez Rogers. What a story she has.
Long before she was elected in 2006, she grew up in the exact same area, but then it was a cotton land and that’s where she worked next to her migrant family in the farm labor camp that now is the home of Avondale City Hall, where Mayor Roger’s office is. What a journey.
Not quite as long as another guest at the State of the Union: Desiline Victor, originally from Haiti, now Miami; she’s 102-years-old. Why was she invited?
She voted in the last election.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.