Wow! So Monday this Irish-Catholic kid is driving to work listening to the morning news and Ned Foster tells me that the Pope is resigning.
I got whiplash.
Nixon resigned. George Steinbrenner resigned from the Yankees. Popes don’t resign. Well, not since 1415 when Gregory XII did it. And I was surprised then.
Steinbrenner was a good guy, but even in catholic time 600 years is fairly long. Pope Benedict says he’s leaving Feb. 28 whether a successor has been chosen or not. At the Vatican, that’s a nano second. Why the short notice?
Well, he is 85, but in Pope years, he’s just reaching middle-age productivity. He has regularly referred to his declining strength and I think it’s fair to say that the entire world wishes him comfort and peace in his retirement.
But now who will take the leadership of a religious body of 1.2 billion in one of it’s most troubled modern times? According to many, the favorite to be elected by the college of cardinals is Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana.
Peter Turkson of Ghana? Wait just a minute! There is reason to believe that this black religious leader may have actually been born in Hawaii.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match