Wow! So Monday this Irish-Catholic kid is driving to work listening to the morning news and Ned Foster tells me that the Pope is resigning.
I got whiplash.
Nixon resigned. George Steinbrenner resigned from the Yankees. Popes don’t resign. Well, not since 1415 when Gregory XII did it. And I was surprised then.
Steinbrenner was a good guy, but even in catholic time 600 years is fairly long. Pope Benedict says he’s leaving Feb. 28 whether a successor has been chosen or not. At the Vatican, that’s a nano second. Why the short notice?
Well, he is 85, but in Pope years, he’s just reaching middle-age productivity. He has regularly referred to his declining strength and I think it’s fair to say that the entire world wishes him comfort and peace in his retirement.
But now who will take the leadership of a religious body of 1.2 billion in one of it’s most troubled modern times? According to many, the favorite to be elected by the college of cardinals is Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana.
Peter Turkson of Ghana? Wait just a minute! There is reason to believe that this black religious leader may have actually been born in Hawaii.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains