Every day when I share these commentaries with you, it’s usually simply to open up possibilities for further thought on some topic of the day.
But today I just want to introduce you to a mom.
Now, technically some would say that she was a mom, the mother of Max Schacknai. Remember, Max was the little 6-year-old boy, who was found at the bottom of that staircase in Coronado, Calif. Days later, the young woman in whose care he was also was found dead.
I’m sure you remember the tragic story and what to some is a continuing mystery, but his mom, Dina, keeps Max very much alive with her creation, Maxie’s House. I met Dina last Saturday evening as she introduced a number of us to this new purpose in her life and the life of Max.
Maxie’s House is a foundation that concentrates on programs that provide safety measures and protective solutions which specifically benefit shared custody or blended households. These are new concepts that, at last, address the safety, legal and transparency needs of the children of couples who separate.
Are you one of those couples? Do you have a Max? There’s valuable help available right now at maxieshouse.org. That’s where Dina spends most of her time these days.
She believes Max is there too.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl