Every day when I share these commentaries with you, it’s usually simply to open up possibilities for further thought on some topic of the day.
But today I just want to introduce you to a mom.
Now, technically some would say that she was a mom, the mother of Max Schacknai. Remember, Max was the little 6-year-old boy, who was found at the bottom of that staircase in Coronado, Calif. Days later, the young woman in whose care he was also was found dead.
I’m sure you remember the tragic story and what to some is a continuing mystery, but his mom, Dina, keeps Max very much alive with her creation, Maxie’s House. I met Dina last Saturday evening as she introduced a number of us to this new purpose in her life and the life of Max.
Maxie’s House is a foundation that concentrates on programs that provide safety measures and protective solutions which specifically benefit shared custody or blended households. These are new concepts that, at last, address the safety, legal and transparency needs of the children of couples who separate.
Are you one of those couples? Do you have a Max? There’s valuable help available right now at maxieshouse.org. That’s where Dina spends most of her time these days.
She believes Max is there too.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas