The United States Postal Service just announced that they’ve come up with a plan to save two billion dollars. The U.S.Postal Service!
The Post Office, mail boxes, snail mail. Yes, those guys. It’s official, by the first week in August, Saturday mail delivery will be no more for the first time since 1863.
And for those of you who didn’t know there was a Saturday delivery, it probably won’t have a huge effect on you. No letters and magazines, but packages will still be brought to your door. Saving two billion dollars with one decision like that would seem monumental, that is until you relize that the Postal Service lost nearly 16 billion just last year.
Is that all a result of new technology — email and texting?
Well, that certainly has changed people’s correspondence, but the primary problem the post offices of America have is the law that congress passed in 2006 making them the only government agency that must pay 5.5 billion a year into future health benefits. Congress now interfering with mail delivery is enough to make you go postal!
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates