The United States Postal Service just announced that they’ve come up with a plan to save two billion dollars. The U.S.Postal Service!
The Post Office, mail boxes, snail mail. Yes, those guys. It’s official, by the first week in August, Saturday mail delivery will be no more for the first time since 1863.
And for those of you who didn’t know there was a Saturday delivery, it probably won’t have a huge effect on you. No letters and magazines, but packages will still be brought to your door. Saving two billion dollars with one decision like that would seem monumental, that is until you relize that the Postal Service lost nearly 16 billion just last year.
Is that all a result of new technology — email and texting?
Well, that certainly has changed people’s correspondence, but the primary problem the post offices of America have is the law that congress passed in 2006 making them the only government agency that must pay 5.5 billion a year into future health benefits. Congress now interfering with mail delivery is enough to make you go postal!
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments