On Monday, we saved a child who was in grave danger.
You’ve no doubt heard by now that the 5-year-old abducted from his Alabama school bus by a man who killed the driver has been rescued from the underground bunker where he has been kept the last seven days as a prisoner.
His kidnapper is dead. After a week of negotiations with 65-year-old Vietnam veteran Jimmy Lee Dykes, the FBI concluded the child was in imminent danger, charged the stronghold and rescued him. Dykes was killed and even though there was a death, there was also a happy ending.
Ethan, diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, a form of autism, has been reunited with his mother. Charles Albert Poland will be remembered as a hero for helping 21 other chidren to escape his school bus before giving up his life.
The man so many residents of Midland City, Ala. thought of as a dangerous, eccentric loner, will no longer threaten neighbors with hs firearms anymore. He will no longer beat dogs to death anymore. He won’t kidnap little boys anymore.
But the question remains: How many Jimmy Lee Dykes are there? Is there one who lives near your child’s bus stop?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development