On Monday, we saved a child who was in grave danger.
You’ve no doubt heard by now that the 5-year-old abducted from his Alabama school bus by a man who killed the driver has been rescued from the underground bunker where he has been kept the last seven days as a prisoner.
His kidnapper is dead. After a week of negotiations with 65-year-old Vietnam veteran Jimmy Lee Dykes, the FBI concluded the child was in imminent danger, charged the stronghold and rescued him. Dykes was killed and even though there was a death, there was also a happy ending.
Ethan, diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, a form of autism, has been reunited with his mother. Charles Albert Poland will be remembered as a hero for helping 21 other chidren to escape his school bus before giving up his life.
The man so many residents of Midland City, Ala. thought of as a dangerous, eccentric loner, will no longer threaten neighbors with hs firearms anymore. He will no longer beat dogs to death anymore. He won’t kidnap little boys anymore.
But the question remains: How many Jimmy Lee Dykes are there? Is there one who lives near your child’s bus stop?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night