On Monday, we saved a child who was in grave danger.
You’ve no doubt heard by now that the 5-year-old abducted from his Alabama school bus by a man who killed the driver has been rescued from the underground bunker where he has been kept the last seven days as a prisoner.
His kidnapper is dead. After a week of negotiations with 65-year-old Vietnam veteran Jimmy Lee Dykes, the FBI concluded the child was in imminent danger, charged the stronghold and rescued him. Dykes was killed and even though there was a death, there was also a happy ending.
Ethan, diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, a form of autism, has been reunited with his mother. Charles Albert Poland will be remembered as a hero for helping 21 other chidren to escape his school bus before giving up his life.
The man so many residents of Midland City, Ala. thought of as a dangerous, eccentric loner, will no longer threaten neighbors with hs firearms anymore. He will no longer beat dogs to death anymore. He won’t kidnap little boys anymore.
But the question remains: How many Jimmy Lee Dykes are there? Is there one who lives near your child’s bus stop?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier