Last Tuesday, Phoenix law enforcement culminated a five-year investigation with a raid on a Phoenix business and a number of arrests.
What crime has an impact on our community that justifies five years of police work?
Terrorism, drug trafficking, political corruption? No. The Phoenix business that was busted a few days ago was the Champagne Room, a strip club near 40th Street and Broadway.
The crime? Prostitution.
There were three women who were arrested for performing sex acts for anywhere from $300 to $900 and a couple who were the apparent owners and who lived in, knock-knock, Surprise!
All I’m asking you is — Do you really care?
As long as we’re always talking about consenting adults, I find myself on the side of the libertarians, and in agreement with much of the rest of the world.
Australia, New Zealand, strict Singapore and so many other countries will not tolerate street walkers or pimps but regulated commercial sex with regular medical testing is not their government business.
Personally, I can’t think of anything less attractive than paying for sex unless it’s paying a politician to regulate it.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona